WHAT IS MOTIVATION?
Motivation is the drive to achieve your goal and are influenced by:
- How much you want the goal
- What you will gain from achieving it
- Your personal expectations of the process to get there
WHY IS MOTIVATION IMPORTANT?
Motivation is important because it:
- Provides you with goals to work towards
- Helps you solve problems/roadblocks that may arise
- Helps you change current bad habits
- Helps you cope with challenges and opportunities
Most people struggle with motivation from time to time. Here are some tips to help get motivated:
- Set yourself one specific, achievable goal per day no matter how small (i.e. booking and attending PLC Sessions)
- Think about how to include that goal in your life, what you need to do to make it happen, and then put a timeframe on it (such as a week).
- Break your goal into small, easy tasks and set regular reminders.
- Use your family, friends, your PLC Coach and team as support – tell them about your goals and encourage them to help keep you motivated.
WAYS TO KEEP ON TRACK
- Make your goal part of your routine by using a diary or PLC App for reminders.
- Positive self-talk is important and effective in managing roadblocks. Instead of saying ‘i can’t’, say ‘I can try’.
- Mindfulness helps keep you relaxed and focused. Book into a couple of UNWIND Sessions per week to help.
- Post on our Challenge page and have your fit buddies help motivate you to attend.
- Reward yourself when you have completed a step or goal (new outfit, healthy treat).
WAYS TO STAY MOTIVATED
Here are some tips:
- Regularly review your goals and progress. Seeing progress is a great motivator in itself
- Keep the momentum up
- Find mentors – a mentor is someone who is experienced in the habit you want to change. Finding social or support groups with the same interest can help you find a mentor (our PLC Coach team can be your mentors)
- Surround yourself with positive people. Positive friends and family
- Enhance your positive self-talk, which also helps to keep you focused
- Use exercise as one of your daily goals to improve your mental health
WHAT TO DO IF YOU LOSE MOTIVATION
Setbacks are normal, but developing resilience can help you carry on and pick up where you left off. Here are some tips to help you find your motivation again:
- Review your goals and see if they are realistic in the timeframe you have set. You may need to break your goal down further into smaller and more achievable goals.
- Remember why you wanted to get motivated or reach that goal in the first place.
- Take motivation from others – feel inspired by reading a book, talking to your coach or friends or family who have reached similar goals to the ones you have set.
- Sometimes you just need to take a break and start afresh.
NUTRITION TIP: STAY HYDRATED
Hydration is an important and often overlooked marker of health. Staying hydrated helps ensure that your body is functioning optimally and that your blood volume is sufficient.
Drinking water is the best way to stay hydrated, as it’s free of calories, sugar, and additives. Although there’s no set amount that everyone needs per day, aim to drink enough so that your thirst is adequately quenched.
Do you have any tips that you’ve picked up yourself? We’d love to hear them. Tag us in your tips & tricks in health and nutrition stories on IG at @plc_coaching_